The curriculum of our school is a reflection of our school ethos, vision and ambition. We seek to develop the whole child so that they can access all that life can offer. This means that in addition to the explicit curriculum that ultimately leads to external certification, we seek to develop lifelong learners who are spiritually, culturally, digitally and financially literate, in addition to understanding how to remain healthy and safe through their lifestyle choices.
Our Quality First Teaching Principles:
- Highly focused lesson design with sharp learning objectives
- High demands of pupil involvement and engagement with their learning
- High levels of interaction for all pupils
- Appropriate use of questioning, modelling and explaining on the part of the teacher
- An emphasis on learning through dialogue, with regular opportunities for pupils to talk both individually and in groups
- An expectation that pupils will accept responsibility for their own learning and work independently
- Regular use of encouragement and authentic praise to engage and motivate pupils
Members of the Mathematics department try to place Mathematics in the context of real situations so that our students can better cope with post-16 life experiences. We also attempt to install a love of Mathematics, helping pupils see that “Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty”.
Our curriculum is designed to introduce the five basics strands of the curriculum (Number, Ratio & Proportion, Geometry & Measure, Statistics & Probability and Algebra) at a basic level and then repeatedly revisit topics at a more advanced level. This helps with retention, understanding and synthesis. While doing this we also develop logical deduction and analysis to help form links between real life and abstract Mathematics.
We also prepare our students for their next stage of Mathematical understanding which can be A-Level Mathematics or Further Mathematics, or as part of another qualification/Apprenticeship.
Part of our regular assessments is to test and then move pupils between ability sets. This helps promote a continual learning environment where independence is encouraged and success is rewarded.
We aim to give a solid understanding and confidence in Mathematics and its techniques to all of our pupil, no matter their background.
We also wish to reduce any Mathematical anxiety/fear that our pupils had when they joined us.
All pupils will have the necessary knowledge and skills to pursue their future career goals whether they be in further/higher education, employment or training.
Please click on the document below to see our subject curriculum map for all years.